Saturday, June 9, 2012

Authentic Thai Curry

So for those who don't know, I have a slight obsession with Thai food.  Give me a good curry and I am such a happy camper.  Yesterday, at the last minute I decided to change my dinner plans (once again disappointing Chris a little as I had gotten his hopes up with trying a Sloppy Joe recipe... in my defense I wanted to make homemade buns, which need to be made overnight.  And for the record, the bread turned out so tasty so that will be coming up).

Ok, enough with the tangent - so this started by being based off a Chocolate Covered Katie recipe (and no, sadly it was not covered with chocolate), but as I went and changed things around it really did take a life of it's own.  That being said, when I tell you I overestimated the amount it would make... well, that may be an understatement (a severe understatement).  This ended up being enough to feed an army.  The recipe below is adjusted slightly from what I made so there are more reasonable portions, so make sure you taste as you go to get the right balance of spices.  The spicy sauce is complemented by the sweetness of the sweet potato.  As Chris put it, this could be served in a restaurant and you wouldn't think twice.

Ingredients


  Sauce


All my spices lined up nice - OCD, much?
  • 4 tbl curry powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tbl sage
  • 1 tbl coriander
  • 4 heaping tbl tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 c cocunut milk
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 T garlic
  • Optional - I added a dash of garlic powder for an extra kick of garlic
  • Handful Spinach (chopped)
  • Handful Kale (chopped)
  • 2 Bell Peppers, diced
  • 1 Onion, diced
  • 3/4 Cup Cauliflower - Steamed
  • 3/4 Cup Green Beans - Steamed
  • 1 Roasted Sweet Potato
  • 3/4+ C Chicken Broth (try for the no to low sodium)
  • Optional - Black Beans or Grilled Chicken Cubed
  
Directions

  1. To begin, prepare the veggies - wrap the sweet potatoes in foil and stick them in the oven at 400 degrees (preheat optional).  Steam the cauliflower and Green beans and set aside.
  2. In a small saucepan, add the first 8 ingredients and mix well.  Set on low and let the flavors meld together over the heat 
  3. In a separate pot or wok (make sure it's big enough to combine all the ingredients in), sauté the peppers, onions, spinach, and kale.
  4. Cut the sweet potato into cubes and add to the peppers with the green beans, cauliflower, and onions.  [This is where you'd add the chicken or black beans].  Cover with the sauce and add chicken broth to mixture.  Stir well and keep over very low heat.  Let it sit until ready to serve.
I will say, it tastes better than this picture gives credit for.



No comments:

Post a Comment