Saturday, June 2, 2012

Frozen Greek Yogurt Pops

Summer's coming and it's starting to get hot here.  Ok, let's be honest... living on the third floor apartment with no air conditioning does not help matters in the least bit.  That being said, one of my favorite treats to cool off are Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt bars.  (You should really not be all that surprised that it's Greek Yogurt considering it's awesomeness health wise... it's higher protein than regular yogurt, plus its calcium goodness, etc. = a healthy win)

I decided that I could probably make my own Greek Yogurt bars cheaper and cleaner (no additives to make it last longer in the freezer section) so I gave it a shot.  So, here it is...

Strawberry Greek Yogurt Bars
Please ignore the broken piece - it was just so tasty... I had to.


Ingredients


  • 1 cup greek yogurt (I used plain, but if you like yours sweet - get the Honey kind and you shouldn't have to add any additional sweeteners)
  • 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk or milk of choice (Optional, but it makes it easier to blend all together and the vanilla adds a little something)
  • Blender
  • Ice Pop Molds (Easily found at Target right now or any kitchen place like Bed Bath & Beyond, Williams Sonoma, you get the idea)
Directions
  • Blend all ingredients together until well mixed.  Depending on your sweet tooth, you probably will want to add a sweetener.  I personally like it tart so I didn't add anything, but for the normal audience I added 1 packet of Truvia to the mix.
  • Pour into ice pop molds and place in freezer for 4+ hours.
  • When ready to nom, running the mold under hot water for a few seconds helps to release it. You'll also want to give it a minute or two to defrost (or 5... it depends on how much God hates you and wants to punish you with heat.  P.S. Can you tell I'm not a fan of the South's heat?*)
Notes
  1. As always, you can mix it up!  Try these with different fruits (blueberries instead of strawberries or even better... add frozen banana to the strawberries, yummmm).
  2. You don't necessarily need ice molds to make these delicious treats.  Get small disposable cups and pour them in there.  Use popsicle sticks and voila!  -  If you go this route, place the cups in the freezer for 20 mins before putting in the sticks so they stand up straight.
*Back story - I lived in Atlanta for 5 months during the summer and learned what real humidity is like.  My hair did not agree with this life decision.  I think I've been scarred.

No comments:

Post a Comment